Tuesday, August 29, 2006

On showing work



I find it remarkable how there is always a way to improve an idea dramatically, particularly when you share it with someone else. Whether it's an idea for animation or story, I always have the tendency to keep it to myself while I'm working on it and only show it when it's close to being done. Of course, the people that I show it to then give me excellent ideas that will plus my work, and I end up kicking myself for not showing them earlier. There are a couple of reasons why I do this but I think the main one is, well, that I'm lazy and the more times I show animation the more likely it is that I'll have to make changes.

Same thing applies for story development. Every time I wrote another treatment of my thesis, I thought it was going to be the last one because I couldn't think of anything else to add. Sure enough, as soon as I shared it with someone else, better ideas surfaced and more rewriting took place.

So a new challenge for me is to overcome the tendency to conceal my work and be more open to suggestions. In the end, it can only improve!

No comments: